Informations about project
The Opening Conference
to the project ACC03028
entitled „Modernising of the curriculum of the management of rainwater in the area of ZŠ Župkov „
On 4th September 2014 at Primary School with Kindergarten in Župkov the Opening Conference was held on the occasion of the implementation of the project ACC03028 entitled „Modernising of the curriculum of the management of rainwater in the area of ZS Zupkov „.
The headteacher welcomed guests, project Partners, teachers and pupils of the school. She informed participants with the conference program:
- Introduction of the project Partner – Blue Altrenative Foundation.
- Presentation of Ing. Hudák, administrator of Blue Alternative Foundation.
- Presentation of Mrs. Jaroslava Jandzíková, a member of Blue Alternative Foundation.
- Presentation of the project coordinator – Implementation of the project in the conditions of Primary School with Kindergarten in Župkov.
- Speech of the Mayor of Župkov, the founder of the school.
- Thanks and conclusion.
Ing. Hudak informed the participants about the project program. He stressed the importance and need to consider changes in climatic conditions and their adaptation. His output realised through the presentation, which was interesting for participants, which brought them a specific view on this problems.
Mrs Jaroslava Jandzíková focused on flood protection measures in general terms, and declared their picture materials, which were very engaging especially for pupils.
The Project co-ordinator, Mgr. Iveta Tomášová, the headteacher of the school, informed participants about the application of the project in conditions of the school. Even the name of the project is evident that pupils from the first to ninth grade (in each grade four hours in the school year) in some subjects acquire knowledge of rainwater utilisation; climate change; how to adapt to this change; why it is not correct to cut tree „hip and thigh“; as the highways; roads, parking places appeared; and how this has an impact on mankind; why sea levels are rising; why tornadoes form; how we can support a natural refrigerator; and many other useful topics to obtain the necessary competencies to the next life.
Our school wants to actively respond to change of climate conditions through the project, which is a part of the supporting the rainwater harvesting and its subsequent use. Within the project we have proposed six adaptation measures for detention and rainwater utilisation:
- We will build a rain reservoir with a low fountain.
- We will fix an underground storage volume of 13 m3, of which the collected rainwater will be used for flushing the toilet in the school canteen.
- We will fix above ground rainwater tanks that will collect water from individual sections and then the water will be used for watering plants and bougainvillea.
- We will build a rain garden.
- We will create the vegetation wall from the concrete area in front of the school canteen and gym.
- We will plant 16 pieces of maple trees in the „dry feet“ area.
- The meteorological station will be installed for the purpose of practical training.
In her speech she stressed that the whole school was involved in the project and the project is financed by the EEA Financial Mechanism (85%) and the state budget (15%). The school does not financially participate in the implementation of the project. The project budget is set to € 39,500.
Mayor of Župkov Ing. Jan Tomas thanked the project team for involvement in an important project and wished the pupils, teachers and the project team to implement the project successfully, to involve the largest number of pupils as possible, but also citizens of the Microregion Kľakovská Valley because we really feel the climate change, and it is right and important to prepare for it and respond. He believed that the knowledge obtained by pupils of rainwater and flood control measures will be also applied in their private lives and become advisers for their family members. We can do it altogether and we will look forward from the results of the project for a long time.
Questions asked in discussion:
- pupils – about the subjects in which they will learn about this topic,
- teachers – about the points of the school area, which will be built on adaptation measures,
- mayors of the villages in Kľakovská valley – whether such a program with a similar aim will also focused in villages or towns.
After discussion the headteacher thanked participants for their presence, and during the snack time there was the informal discussion with project partners.